Once again I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the second of Kimberly Davis‘ Marketing Masters Series, this time the hot topic of Social Media for Business. See Apprentice Kim and her Marketing Masters Series for my notes from the first.
Kimberly promised us eleven ways to turn free resources into powerful marketing and sales tools, and she certainly delivered, with additional excellent contributions from Warren Cass and Stefan Thomas.
Here are my notes from the day:
Definition of Social Media – A conversation between you and your customers (or potential customers).
Why you should use it:
- Connects people
- No barriers
- Easy (you don’t need to be tech savvy)
- Is the future of marketing
- Half of UK population is now on Facebook
- Average user has 130 friends
- “The SMS of the Internet”
- 58% of tweeps have +$60k income
- Six degrees of Kevin Bacon
- Job searching
- Owned by Google
- Increases your SEO
Research – Use Social Media to find out what are people saying about you and your competitors?
Surveys – Test – Feedback
- Build a database
- Building your Brand
- Trust is essential
- The power of blogging
- Customer Service
- Events and promotions
- Recruitment and Refresh
- Create a Social Media Strategy
- Do you need a Social Media manager?
Words of caution
- Facebook owns your photos – and changes the privacy rules regularly
- 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night
- Friends don’t equal love
- Beware of bots